Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Potential. Your Move.




Fraternity and Sorority Life is clouded by rumors, and horror stories; by judgements and negative perceptions. Everyday I defend my affiliation, my sisterhood and my community to everyone from peers to professors.

Hazing.

Drinking.

Parties.

Sexual Assault.

Bullying.

Elitism.

Yes. These are the images of Fraternity and Sorority Life cast by the news, by the media, and at its worst, by members of chapters.

No, this is not me.

I am not delusional or ignorant, I understand the horrors that occur within the Greek System, but I also understand what my Ritual means and what my community means. I also understand that I am a better person because of it. Get to know me and take your impression of Greek life from me, from my sisters, from my friends.

The Greek system is like religion - violence and conflict are all the result of misinterpretations, of misguided readings and understandings. Lives are lost because leaders of religious communities are in denial of medical practices or institutions that are there to protect us. It can be mean, and hurtful, and oppressive.

But, when it's done right - it's good for the community, it's good for the neighborhood, and the members of the congregation. It has the power to connect and encourage, it brings strength and inspires faith in people. We can be lifted up to the heavens. We learn how to become better people and want to help others do the same.


While I am proud to belong to an amazing community I know that we still have the potential to get better, to improve, to live for each other more, to seek the heights together, to aim high together.... I know that we have the potential, but it takes your move. Come get to know us, and let us get to know you! Speak to a Sorority woman today; hear her story, ask her questions. Let's see what can happen!

Thanks to NPC for such an amazing and inspiring video!

<3 Love and Loyally

No comments:

Post a Comment